cars 2 vs. fast five ... which one do critics like more?
Peter T. Chattaway
2011-06-23 15:52:36 UTC
I've been looking at Rotten Tomatoes the last few days to see how critics
are feeling about Cars 2 (which I have not yet seen).

And, um, wow.

A couple days ago, it was "rotten" with 59% among "All Critics", but it
still had a "fresh" rating of 74% from "Top Critics". Last I checked,
though, it was down to 44% among "All Critics" (based on 39 reviews) and
55% among "Top Critics" (based on 11 reviews).

So this is the first "rotten" film in Pixar's history.

Meanwhile, Fast Five -- the fifth installment of the Fast & Furious
franchise, and also a sequel that switches genre to some degree (Fast Five
is a heist movie, unlike the first four movies, while Cars 2 is a
spy-movie spoof, unlike the original Cars) -- has a "fresh" rating of 78%
from "All Critics" and an even better 82% from "Top Critics".

But the first four movies in the Fast & Furious franchise were all
considered "Rotten".

So... this year, for the first time ever, a Fast & Furious movie got love
from the critics... and, for the first time ever, a Pixar movie didn't.
(Even the original Cars, which I found kind of boring and even a little
offensively preachy in places, managed a "fresh" 74% from "All Critics"
and an almost equally "fresh" 73% from "Top Critics".)

So... what gives? Do critics genuinely believe that Fast Five is a better
movie than Cars 2? Or, are they judging each movie by the standards set
by their predecessors? Were the first four Fast & Furious films so bad
that Fast Five could not help but look good? Were the first eleven Pixar
films so good that Cars 2 could not help but look bad? Etc.

Oh, and for those who think critics don't matter and it's only audiences
that count, Fast Five has also made a heck of a lot more money worldwide
than the original Cars did. I wonder how it'll compare to the sequel.

Another interesting factoid: The two Cars movies are the *only* movies
that Pixar co-founder John Lasseter has directed since the 1990s. He
directed the first two Toy Storys as well as A Bug's Life, but after the
turn of the millennium, he let other people direct Pixar films (Pete
Docter directed Monsters Inc. and Up; Andrew Stanton directed Finding Nemo
and WALL-E; Brad Bird directed The Incredibles and Ratatouille; Lee
Unkrich directed Toy Story 3). When he returned to directing himself,
Lasseter's movies -- the two Cars movies -- were widely regarded as the
worst films that Pixar has ever made. With the original Cars, people
still tended to say, "But at least Pixar's worst is better than everyone
else's best." It doesn't sound like they're saying that for Cars 2,
though.
Johne Cook
2011-06-23 16:06:01 UTC
Peter T. Chattaway
2011-06-23 16:30:06 UTC
Post by Johne Cook
All I know is this: Fast Fast makes almost no sense, and was
terrifically entertaining. It was the why the term 'guilty pleasure' was
coined.
I heartily agree. :)
2011-06-23 17:33:55 UTC
Meanwhile, Fast Five -- the fifth installment of the Fast & Furious franchise, and also a >sequel that switches genre to some degree (Fast Five is a heist movie, unlike the first >four movies, while Cars 2 is a spy-movie spoof, unlike the original Cars) -- has a "fresh" >rating of 78% from "All Critics" and an even better 82% from "Top Critics".
Um...heists were part the first Fast and the Furious film. In fact, heists played a role in all the films (Street racing is the backdrop)... so is Fast Five really that much of a departure?

Thom
http://thomwade.wordpress.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/Thomwade
http://www.in-one-ear.com
Peter T. Chattaway
2011-06-23 18:02:03 UTC
Post by n***@public.gmane.org
Post by Peter T. Chattaway
Meanwhile, Fast Five -- the fifth installment of the Fast & Furious
franchise, and also a >sequel that switches genre to some degree (Fast
Five is a heist movie, unlike the first >four movies, while Cars 2 is a
spy-movie spoof, unlike the original Cars) -- has a "fresh" >rating of
78% from "All Critics" and an even better 82% from "Top Critics".
Um...heists were part the first Fast and the Furious film. In fact,
heists played a role in all the films (Street racing is the backdrop)...
so is Fast Five really that much of a departure?
I must not be remembering the first four films all that well (well, I
never saw the third film, but anyhoo). The fifth film was promoted quite
heavily as a "heist" film a la Ocean's 11, so presumably something seemed
different about it to *somebody*. Maybe the fact that they brought in a
team that consisted of just about every supporting character from the
first four films? Maybe the fact that they stole a *vault* this time?

Johne Cook
2011-06-23 18:40:07 UTC
This is the article I was thinking of:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/fast-five-will-transition-franchise-from-street-racing-to-heist-action/

It's already known that Universal has started Chris Morgan -- the
screenwriter of *Fast Five* as well as *The Fast And The Furious 3: Tokyo
Drift*, and *Fast & Furious 4* -- on the script for the sixth installment
as part of his new production deal at the studio. But Morgan is also a great
scripter of the crime-thriller genre, like *Wanted*. So what *Fast Five*sets up nicely is a
*Fast Six* whose plot revolves around a major robbery. And Universal's
intent is to transform the street-racing franchise into a series of heist
films. It was Universal's previous administration of chairman Marc Shmuger
and co-chairman David Linde who put the original cast back together on *Fast
& Furious* and then enjoyed a huge opening for what was then seen as a
refreshed franchise.
But Fogelson and Langley saw a roadblock ahead when they took over the
studio: How long would or could this franchise last as is? "The question
putting *Fast Five* and *Fast Six* together for us was: Can we take it out
of being a pure car culture movie and into being a true action franchise in
the spirit of those great heist films made 10 or 15 years ago?"
As for *Fast Five* domestically, "Based on screenings, this is
the highest-testing movie in the franchise so far," Fogelson noted. "But
we've absolutely left perfect room for where we want to go with this
franchise. I don't want to give away too much, but there are a lot of
surprises at the end of *Fast Five* involving one of the biggest
characters of the previous movies which will set up the franchise now as a
series of heist action films."
Johne Cook
*
Peter T. Chattaway
2011-06-23 18:34:29 UTC
Post by n***@public.gmane.org
Post by Peter T. Chattaway
I must not be remembering the first four films all that well (well, I
never saw the third film, but anyhoo). The fifth film was promoted
quite heavily as a "heist" film a la Ocean's >11, so presumably
something seemed different about it to *somebody*. Maybe the fact that
they brought in a team that consisted of just about every supporting
character from the first four films? Maybe the fact that they stole a
*vault* this time?
Well, the "good" guy was trying to stop the heists in the first two
films...the third and fourth, i am not sure, as I've only seen the first
one. But Deisel's crew in the first film were street racers who were
hijacking big rigs for their cargo...
Right... they were cars robbing cars in the street. Fast Five involves
breaking into... not a bank, but a police station, and making off with its
vault.